Also known as peel and reseal packaging, “reclose” is a term commonly used in the packaging or food industry to refer to the easy-open packaging commonly found holding cookies.
This consumer-friendly package was developed to provide consumers with convenient, easy access to package contents from the top panel rather than the side of a package. It can now be found in virtually every grocery store.
Peel and reseal rollstock is created with precision die-cut and registered pressure sensitive label application technology. Since the introduction of this technology, it has taken off in the marketplace because of the many benefits:
- Consistently easy to open and reclose
- Package branding/graphics stay intact during usage of product
- Provides tamper evidence
- Convenient for entertaining or on-the-go snacking
- Preserves product freshness for multi-use packages without the additional cost of a zipper, slider, or other closure
- Prevents packaging film tears that previously forced consumers to repackage products to preserve freshness
- Label size can be customized for each application
- No overwrap or secondary packaging required
- No change to current fill process or speeds
Recloseability is an important feature that consumers are willing to pay for, and reclose technology provides a cost-effective way to achieve that.
For example, in a 2016 survey conducted by Harris Poll, consumers were asked which features of food packaging are important to them. “Ability to reseal” and “easy to open” were two of the top three most important attributes (alongside “easy to store”).
In this same survey, 81% of impulse buyers (consumers who admitted to regularly buying products they weren’t planning to purchase) placed a high importance on resealability and extending product life.
The most important keys to an effective peel and reseal package include engineering the package to provide:
- oxygen and moisture barrier properties that provide shelf stability
- excellent tear resistance and durability
- a smooth, easy peel for consumers opening your packaging
When you choose C-P Flexible Packaging for your peel and reseal rollstock, your packaging will be further enhanced with our HD flexographic printing that sets the bar for wide web flexible packaging converters.
Let's talk flexible packaging.
Ask us your packaging questions, and we’ll see how we can help you overcome your next packaging challenge.